Monday, June 18, 2012

Marriage and Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Since getting married, my eyes have been opened to how selfish and unkind I can be sometimes.  During one week in particular, a couple weeks ago, I felt like I was constantly finding fault - especially with my husband.  It really hit me in the face, and I asked the Lord to help me.  As I was in my quiet time, I read this wonderful passage from some writings by Dietrich Bonhoeffer:

" 'Welcome one another, therefore, as Christ has welcomed you, for the glory of God' (Rom. 15:7). In a word, live together in the forgiveness of your sins, for without it no human fellowship, least of all a marriage, can survive. Don't insist on your rights, don't blame each other, don't judge or condemn each other, don't find fault with each other, but accept each other as you are, and forgive each other every day from the bottom of your hearts. From the first day of your wedding till the last the rule must be: 'Welcome one another ... for the glory of God.' That is God's word for your marriage. Thank God for it; thank God for leading you thus far; ask God to establish your marriage, to confirm it, sanctify it, and preserve it. So your marriage will be 'for the praise of God's glory.' Amen."

It was exactly the word that I needed, so I wrote down and framed the italicized section as a reminder for myself, and this passage has become my prayer for my marriage, as well as learning to become more thankful, encouraging, and appreciative.

No comments:

Post a Comment